The Effects of Lepidium Meyenii on Grip Strength, Fatigue, and Sexual Behavior
Main Article Content
Sexual Functioning, Vigor, Maca
There are a variety of medicinal claims regarding the efficacy of maca. The aim of the current study was to examine the effects of maca on body composition, strength, mood, and sexual functioning
Methods: Forty-seven subjects consumed 2.1g of maca for 28 days. This study used a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design. The Shapiro Test was used to test the effect of maca on grip strength, mood and sexual functioning. A Nonparametric Wilcoxon Rank Test was utilized to examine differences between the groups for men and women separately.
Results: Although females in the treatment group had significant differences from baseline, those differences were no longer significantly different when compared to the placebo group. Males in the treatment group showed significant improvements over the placebo group in fatigue (mean±SD: -3.3 ± 3.9 vs. 1.3 ± 6.2), handgrip (4.6 ± 7.5 vs. -0.4 ± 5.4), and sexual behavior (3.83 ± 4.3 vs. 0.7 ± 2.1).
Conclusions: Maca supplementation may lessen fatigue, improve strength, and enhance sexual functioning in otherwise healthy men.
2. Dini, A; Migliuolo, G; Rastrelli, L.; Saturnino, P; Schettino, O. Chemical composition of Lepidium meyenii. Food Chem. 1994, 49, 347-349
3. Dording CM, Schettler PJ, Dalton ED, et al. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of maca root as treatment for antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction in women. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:949036.
4. Lim PHC. Asian herbals and aphrodisiacs used for managing ED. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(2):167-175.
5. Brooks, NA; Wilcox, G; Walker, K, et al. Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or interest in content. Menopause. 2008 15(6) 1157-1162.
6. Crespo AO; Cedillo PO. Systematic review on the use of maca (Lepidium meyenii) in sexual dysfunction. Penn Med Sci 2016 3(4) 1-7.
7. Lee MS, Lee HW, You S, Ha KT. The use of maca (Lepidium meyenii) to improve semen quality: A systematic review. Maturitas. 2016; 92:64-69
8. Balick, MJ; Lee, R. Maca: from traditional food crop to energy and libido stimulant. Altern Ther 2002, 8, 96-98.
9. Stone, M; Ibarra, A; Roller, M, et al. A pilot investigation into the effect of maca supplementation on physical activity and sexual desire in sportsmen. J Ethnopharmacol., 2009, 126, 574-578.
10. Li,J;Sun,Q;Meng,Q.;Wang,L,etal.;Anti-fatigueactivityofpolysaccharidefractionsfrom Lepidium meyenii Walp. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017; 95, 1305-1311.
11. Cicero, AF; Bandieri, E, Arletti, R. Lepidium meyenii walp improvees sexual behavior in male rats independently of its action on spontaneous locomotor activity. Ethnopharmacol. 2001, 75, 225-229.
12. Zheng,B;He,K;Kim,CH,et.al.EffectofalipidicextractfromLepidiummeyeniionsexual behavior of mice and rats. Urology, 2000, 55, 598-602.
13. Wang, Y; Wang, Y; McNeil, et al. Maca: An Andean crop with multi-pharmacological functions. Food Res Int, 2007, 40, 783-792.
14. Gonzales, GF; Gasco, M.; Cordava, A, et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) on spermatogenesis in male rats acutely exposed to high
altitude (4340m). J Endocrinol, 2002, 180, 1, 87-95.
15. Bogani, P, Simonini, F. Lepidium meyenii (maca) does not exert direct androgenic activies. J Ethnopharmacol 2006, 104, 415-417.
16. Gonzales,GF;Cordova,A.;Vega,K.etal.,EffectofLepidiummeyeniionsexualdesireand its absent relationship with serum reproductive levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia, 2002, 34, 367-372.
17. Roberts,K.;Jean,SK;Berman,NGetal.Penilhemodynamicanderectileeffectsofacuteoral administration of maca extract and a maca complex. FASEB J. 2001, 15, A993 [as cited in Wang, 2007].
18. Holden, C.A.; Mchlachlan, R.I., Pitts, M et. al. Handelsman, D.J.; Determinants of male reproductive health disorders: the men in australia telephone survey (MATeS). BMC Public Health, 2010, 10, 1471–2458.
19. Stahl, SM; Briley, M. Understanding pain in depression. Hum Psychopharm Clin, 2004, 19, 9–13.
20. Gonzales, GF; Cordova, A.; Vega, K. et al. Effect of Lepidium meyenii on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum reproductive levels in adult healthy men. J Ethnopharmacol 2002, 34, 367-372.
21. Wiederman, MW. Women’s body image self-consciousness during physical intimacy with a
partner. J Sex Res, 2000, 37, 60–68.